There has been a sudden increase in the number of people applying for jobs in marketing. Post-recession, the need for efficient marketing has only increased by raising expectations in job search circles for a great career in marketing! The avenues in marketing have only gone up and so has the enthusiasm of the youth. Thanks to the huge commercialization of marketing jobs, the flood of applicants is increasing and companies can finally find the best talent out of applicants. If you’re looking for a great career in marketing, you definitely can’t go wrong with these:
• Create a local network: People who start out initially get a local job. There is a great deal of understanding behind the selection of local people for jobs in a particular location. One of the main reasons is ‘local’ itself. Maybe the language is the same across the country, but the locals do have some colloquial leanings along with some distinct cultural identities, which will help the locals sell into their area very well. It is like a representative of the same area in a marketing job. Naturally, the locals will listen to them more than a recruit from another region.
However, this is only when you are starting your marketing career, when you are located in the lower reaches of the corporate ladder. As your seniority increases, the need for local managers decreases because it is the best brain that can rise to the top.
• Use of social networks: log in to Facebook every hour and enjoy updating the status and commenting on the links of your friends. But have you ever thought that Facebook can actually be a source of great marketing jobs? Little is known about recruiters looking for good talent on social networking sites. Recruiters will scan your social media profile before handing you your appointment letter! Therefore, it is important that you keep your social media profile in a ‘presentable’ condition!
• Use of the Internet: Just like online social networking, the Internet is a great help when it comes to looking for marketing jobs. The internet has become the employment agency of the present and the future where job search sites will help you get the marketing job you want!
• Classifieds, Newspapers and Employment Advice: How can you do without the good old classifieds and newspapers when looking for work? Even today, a great boost is given to advertising in print media for hiring and job search. If you want prompt attention, request the ad and then follow the contracting procedure on the Internet.
• Personal: Personality traits like competence, willingness to work hard, learning attitude are something that should be instilled with your core values. Your employer will surely look to you for these things as what is required of a good marketing professional. Interviews are proof of the same and you don’t want to be left behind in the race!